Although Omandongo features prominently in the history of the Aandonga and the endeavours of the Finnish Mission Society in Owambo it has largely been forgotten. Situated about 5 km southeast of Onayena as the crow flies, it is reached along a winding track which frequently splits into several tracks that converge again further.
Omandongo served as the royal seat of the Ondonga King, Shikongo shaKalulu, (1858 to 1874), as well as King Iitana yaNekwiyu (1883 to 1884).

The Irishman Joseph Grendon became the first European to settle permanently in Owambo when he opened a trading store for the Swedish explorer, hunter and trader Charles John Andersson at Omandongo in 1865. Grendon built a three-roomed house with a veranda at the site which King Shikongo shaKalula allocated to him, a 15-minute ride by ox-wagon from the royal palace.
The pioneering group of seven missionaries and two craftsmen of the Finnish Mission Society arrived at Omandongo on 9 July 1870. They received a friendly welcome from King Shikongo shaKalulu who gave them permission to conduct a divine service on Sunday 10 July. The mission station, the first to be opened by the Finnish Mission Society, was established in Grendon’s trading store that stood empty at the time.
Missionary Martti Rautanen, who was given the local name Nakambale, served the Omandongo congregation until he moved to Olukonda in July 1880. His eldest son, Heinrich, died at Omandongo on 4 May 1880 and is buried in the Omandongo cemetery.
When Omandongo became the royal capital of King Iitana yaNekwiyu in 1883, missionary Rautanen and his family moved from Olukonda back to Omandongo at the king’s request. They arrived at Omandongo on 21 August 1884, but returned to Olukonda after just a month following the king’s death on 26 September 1884.
Although Omandongo was the first Finnish mission station in Owambo, the first six converts were not baptised at Omandongo but at Omulonga on 6 January 1883. Three converts were baptised at Omandongo on 26 April 1883.
Following a succession dispute with his brother Nehale lyaMpingana established himself as ruler of Oshitambi (Eastern Ondonga) in 1886. His rule was characterised by his open animosity towards the Finnish missionaries and his fierce resistance to colonialism. On his instructions, William Jordan, who had ‘bought’ a large tract of land from King Kambonde in 1885, was shot dead near Omandongo mission station on 30 June 1886.

When the missionaries abandoned Omandongo in September 1888, they sought refuge at Olukonda which became the centre of the work of the Finnish Mission Society in Owambo. The Omulonga mission station, west of Omandongo, was also abandoned.
Despite Omandongo’s historical significance as the place where Christianity was introduced into Owambo and the seat of two Ondonga kings, it faded into obscurity. The site, which was declared a national heritage place in 2014, is marked by a cross which represents the arrival of the missionaries. A bronze statue of Martti Rautanen holding a Bible in his hand was unveiled in 2020 on occasion of the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the Finnish missionaries.
King Shikongo shaKalulu, who died on 7 November 1874, was buried at Omandongo. The erection of the memorial tombstone was initiated by his nephew, King Immanuel Elifas. Each councillor was expected to contribute N$100 and junior headmen N$50, while ordinary Aandonga could contribute whatever they could afford.

A translation of the inscription on the tombstone, which was unveiled on 9 July 1985, reads: “Here lies Omukwaniilwa Shikongo shaKalulu. He accepted Finnish missionaries in his kingdom to spread the good gospel. In the first sermon conducted by the Finnish missionaries, Shikongo is said to have stated that “You did well to come here. All that you will tell us, we want to do it.”
SUBMIT YOUR COMMENT